According to the American Society for Reproductive Medicine, about 25% of known pregnancies end in miscarriage. The most common symptoms of a miscarriage are pelvic pain, cramping, weight loss, vaginal discharge, painful contractions, increased bowel movements, brown or bright red bleeding or spotting and any decrease in the signs of pregnancy. The most common reason for a miscarriage is a random genetic problem with the developing fetus, however there are many other possible reasons as well. There is not much we can do if the cause is due to genetic development. Many women experience this type of miscarriage and go on to have a healthy pregnancy.
Recurrent miscarriages is technically defined as 3 miscarriages, however at Reproductive Wellness if we see 2 miscarriages we begin to look for other reasons that may have lead to this.
Common causes of recurrent miscarriage:
- misshaped uterus
- weakened cervix
- large fibroids
- dramatic scarring within the uterus
High Homocysteine levels
- Researchers in Bergen/Osb Norway studied several thousand patients and reported that Homocysteine levels higher than 10-10.7 increased a woman’s chance of a miscarriage by 38%.
- High estrogen
- Low progesterone
- Elevated prolactin
- Insulin resistance (PCOS)
- Thyroid disorders
Acupuncture and Functional Medicine offer effective solutions for recurrent pregnancy loss/miscarriage due to immune factors, hormonal imbalances and stress. At reproductive Wellness we address these issues using a combination of acupuncture, Chinese herbal medicine, Maya Abdominal Massage, nutrition and lifestyle recommendations. Studies have shown that a combination of acupuncture, Chinese herbal therapy and supplements can help balance hormones and reduce the risk of miscarriage.
Acupuncture helps reduce the risk of miscarriage by:
- Increasing the blood flow to the ovaries to nourish the developing follicles and create better egg quality and embryos.
- Increasing blood flow to the testicles for improved sperm quality to optimize the male’s contribution to embryo quality. (This is particularly important in couples undergoing ICSI.)
- Nourishing the developing fetus by improving the blood flow to the placenta and preventing uterine contractions.
- Regulating the body’s natural hormonal production, which in turn improves ovarian function, egg quality and proper progesterone levels.
- Relaxing the body and reducing stress levels to prevent early uterine contractions.
Do you have questions after reading this article? Please let us know! Leave a comment below, we would love to give you some answers!
If you would like to know more, here is what you could do:
- Download our eBooks about fertility, reproductive health, pregnancy and postpartum here
- If you like to watch some of our awesome videos, follow us onYoutube.
- We always share the most up to date information on Facebook. Don’t miss out!
- If you are ready to discuss your needs, we are ready to listen. If you are not in San Diego, we offer skype and phone consultations. Give us a call! 858 381 2281