Castor Oil Pack
Castor oil has a long history of traditional medical use dating back to ancient Egypt. Derived from the castor bean (Ricinus communis), the oil was once used internally as a laxative but is now primarily used externally due to its potential toxicity.
How it works: A castor oil pack is placed on the skin to increase circulation and to promote elimination and healing of the tissues and organs underneath the skin. It is used to stimulate the liver, relieve pain, increase lymphatic circulation, reduce inflammation, and improve digestion.
How it is made : Castor oil packs are made by soaking a piece of flannel in castor oil and placing it on the skin. The flannel is covered with plastic, and then a hot water bottle or heating pad is placed over the plastic to heat the pack.
A castor oil pack can be placed on the following body regions:
- The right side of the abdomen to stimulate the liver. (Often recommended as part of a liver detox program)
- Inflamed and swollen joints, bursitis, and muscle strains.
- The abdomen to relieve constipation and other digestive disorders.
- The lower abdomen in cases of Menstrual Irregularities. Endometriosis, Infertility, and Cysts.
Safety precautions: Castor oil should not be taken internally. It should not be applied to broken skin, or used during pregnancy, breastfeeding, or during menstrual flow.
- An old dish towel or old towel cut into the shape of a dish towel
- Castor oil
- A piece of Plastic wrap cut 1-2″ larger than the flannel (A plastic bag like the kind used for produce at the grocery store can be used instead of plastic wrap)
- A Hot water bottle or Heating Pad
- A Container with a lid or a plastic bag (to store the used pack in between uses)
- Old clothes and sheets. **Warning: Castor oil will stain clothing and bedding**
Place the flannel in a bowl or basin. Soak it in castor oil so that it becomes saturated, but not dripping.
Place the pack over the affected body part. (In most cases, the lower abdomen just above the pubic bone)
Once the oil-soaked flannel is in place, cover it with plastic. (Either Cling Wrap or a Plastic Bag may be used)
Place the hot water bottle or heating pad over the pack. Rest with the pack in place for 45-60 minutes.
After removing the pack, cleanse the area with a dilute solution of water and baking soda.
Store the pack in the covered container in the refrigerator. Each pack may be reused up to 3 to 4 times.
Frequency of use
Use as recommended by your acupuncturist or health care provider. Castor oil packs are not universally beneficial, but are required to treat certain specific disorders. Your acupuncturist will let you know if castor packs are recommended for your condition.
In My Fertility School, the 6 weeks online eCourse to help you empower your fertility, you’ll find step by step tutorials on how to do a fertility abdominal massage.