Low sperm count and infertility in men is more prevalent than most couples think. There is an equal chance that male factor infertility can be the cause of not getting pregnant as much as a fertility issue being with the woman. Studies show that while 40% of the time infertility is the result of the result of female factors, 40% of the time it’s the result of male factors and 20% of the time the result of a combination of both women and men.
Causes for Male Factor Infertility include:
- Low Sperm Count
- Poor Sperm Motility – This measures the percentage of sperm that is moving in a forward direction
- Poor Sperm Morphology – This measures the shape of the sperm.
- Varicocele – essentially a varicose vein in the testicules.
- Pituitary Disease
We encourage all men who are attempting to start a family to begin by getting tested. The male fertility testing is relatively straight forward and easy to do. Once this information comes back treatment can begin if needed. The last thing we want to do is wait for testing and realize that there is a problem that could have been treated months ago.
Men produce new sperm all the time. It takes approximately 100 days to create and mature sperm. During this crucial time, we treat the underlying condition or imbalance that is affecting your fertility.
“In conjunction with ART, or even for reaching natural fertility potential, acupuncture treatment is a simple, non-invasive method that can improve sperm quality.”
(Dr. Jian Pei, Fertility and Sterility 2005)
Recent studies have shown that acupuncture can effectively:
- Increase sperm production
- Increase the percentage of healthy sperm
- Improve sperm movement (motility)
- Improve the levels of hormones responsible for fertility
- Increase the rate of pregnancy when used in conjunction with ART studies
Reproductive Wellness, Acupuncture and functional medicine in San Diego, have been able to increase motility and count, improve morphology and eliminate infections. It is common practice for us to address and treat male factor fertility in our office.
Do you have questions after reading this article? Please let us know! Leave a comment below, we would love to give you some answers!
If you would like to know more, here is what you could do:
- Download our eBooks about fertility, Men’s reproductive health, pregnancy and postpartum here
- If you like to watch some of our awesome videos, follow us onYoutube.
- We always share the most up to date information on Facebook. Don’t miss out!
- If you are ready to discuss your needs, we are ready to listen. If you are not in San Diego, we offer skype and phone consultations. Give us a call! 858 381 2281