FSH, or follicle-stimulating hormone, is a naturally occurring hormone that is made by the pituitary gland in the body. If the FSH levels are either low or high, it is a clear indicator that something is out of balance within the reproductive system. While FSH levels are used to determine if there is an imbalance, low or high FSH is not the direct cause of fertility issues, just a sign that there may be a concern. FSH stimulates the eggs to grow and develop within the ovaries. This is a measure of ovarian receptivity and how sensitive they may be during stimulation. As the FSH levels increase, the ovaries sensitivity to stimulation decreases thus requiring more FSH to stimulate the follicles to grow). FSH stimulates the ovaries’ production of estrogen and promotes development of the follicles. In women, the FSH test (blood test) is taken on the 3rd day of the menstrual period. Western medicine believes that a level higher than 10-15mIU/ml may indicate diminished fertility or diminished ovarian reserve).
Good nutrition supports a healthy pituitary and hypothalamus gland. Insulin resistance and blood sugar levels have a major effect on the endocrine system and hormone levels. Its for this reason maintaining a healthy weight is important for healthy hormonal function. Eating a whole food diet to make sure you are getting proper nutrients in your diet will help a lot.
Natural Body Therapies
Acupuncture can normalize the dysfunction of the Hypothalamus Pituitary Ovarian Axis. This improves ovarian function creating more follicles and better egg production. Research has shown that Acupuncture can successfully increase blood flow to the reproductive organs. By enhancing blood flow we can improve egg quality and we can see FSH levels decrease as a result of consistent treatment.
Fertility acupuncture can help you by:
- Balancing hormone and endocrine systems that regulate ovulation and create more follicles
- Reducing stress hormones and normalizing the dysfunction of the hypothalamus-pituitary-ovarian axis
- Improving ovarian function
- Improving egg production
- Improving blood flow to your reproductive organs
Do you have questions after reading this article? Please let us know! Leave a comment below, we would love to give you some answers!
If you would like to know more, here is what you could do:
- Download our eBooks about fertility, reproductive health, pregnancy and postpartum here
- If you like to watch some of our awesome videos, follow us onYoutube.
- We always share the most up to date information on Facebook. Don’t miss out!
- If you are ready to discuss your needs, we are ready to listen. If you are not in San Diego, we offer skype and phone consultations. Give us a call! 858 381 2281