Serving the Greater San Diego Area
Naturopathic Medicine is not a particular therapy or practice, rather a philosophy for approaching a individual’s health. At its very core, Naturopathic Medicine is defined by the following founding principles:
- Educate and encourage self-responsibility for health
- Support the healing power of the body
- Identify and address the root cause of the disease
- Address the whole person with individualized care
- Start with the least invasive therapy first
In the state of California, Naturopathic Doctors are licensed primary care physicians who have completed 4 years of medical school and 2 medical licensing exams. Within school, they are trained in following modalities:
- Pharmacology: We are trained and able to use pharmacological medications when needed, though this is not our first choice! We see medicine as a tool to be reserved for acute situations when other modalities will not produce the necessary outcome in the desired amount of time.
- Hormone Replacement Therapy: Naturopathic Physicians acknowledge the importance of hormonal balance and recognize that they work best when all at adequate levels. We utilize bio-identical hormones at physiologic doses when possible to minimize risks and side effects.
- Nutrition therapy: Whether it be through your food, supplements, an IV, or a shot, nutrient therapy is a foundation of our practice. We see food as medicine; yet recognize that there are times when the body must be supplemented with additional nutrients beyond what we are able to achieve through our diet alone.
- Herbal medicine: We find herbs to be as strong as medications. We see that using the entire plant, rather than a specific component, works in better harmony with our body’s physiology. We use herbs in pill, tea, tincture, and topical form.
- Hydrotherapy: The use of hot and cold water can significantly impact movement of lymph, circulation, immune function, and more.
- Homeopathy: Homeopathy is a form of treatment that is founded on the principal of “like treats like.” Homeopathic remedies are selected based on symptoms alone. When chosen appropriately, the remedy would initiate your same symptoms if given at high doses. Thus, a homeopathic remedy essential holds a mirror up to your body to remind your body what is wrong and how to heal.
- Physical and Structural Medicine: We recognize that our structural wellbeing is part of our whole wellbeing and are trained in physical manipulation, muscle energy work, laser, ultrasound, diathermy, regenerative therapies, and more.
- Counseling: We recognize the importance of the mental emotional state when it comes to an individual’s whole health and are trained in counseling.
Outside of traditional lab work, we provide a number of specialty tests that allow us to get a more comprehensive view of what might be impacting your hormones and whole health!
- Salivary and Urinary Metabolite Hormone Testing: Salivary testing allows us to monitor hormones over your cycle to give us the FULL picture without the hassle of a daily invasive blood draw. Urinary hormones allow us to understand how your body is metabolizing your estrogens, giving us further understanding of your risk of developing disorders of estrogen dominance and estrogen related cancers.
- Stool and Microbiome Testing: There is mounting evidence regarding the impact of gut health on an individual’s whole health. Proper digestion is crucial for immune health, mental health, skin health, hormone health, and more!
- Micronutrient Testing: Testing for nutrient insufficiencies is a wonderful idea when preparing for pregnancy to optimize the health and development of the fetus, as well as, in the post-partum period to replete mom!
- Environmental Toxicity Testing: Whether you are trying to correct a hormone imbalance or prepare for conception, assessing for toxins is an important step!
- Adrenal Stress Testing: Testing, cortisol, melatonin, and DHEA through saliva can greatly improve our ability to assess for adrenal imbalances leading to fatigue, poor sleep, poor stress resiliency, anxiety, and more!
- Food and Environmental Allergy Testing: Allergies not only impact your immune health, but they can also impact fertility and worsen endometriosis, PMS symptoms, endometriosis, and other female reproductive disorders due to the fact that histamine increases estrogen.
Advanced Cardiometabolic Testing: Whether you are concerned about your cholesterol or your blood sugar, we have you covered! There is much more you can do to manage these conditions than a stain or metformin; however, fully understanding WHY this is occurring is key!